Skip to main content

FY23 April Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, April 12, 2023    1:00pm    200 NW 5th Street Conference Room

Call to Order

Mariano Corona – Chairman – Present
Nicki Smith – Supervisor – Present
Donald Sellers, Jr.- Supervisor – Present
Douglas Burnham – Supervisor – Absent
Glynn Rutledge – Treasurer – Present

I. Motion to approve the March 8, 2023 Minutes (Smith/Sellers). Motion passed.

II. Motion to file the Financial Report for audit (Sellers/Rutledge). Motion passed.

III. Staff Program Reports

1. NRCS- District Conservationist, Howard Harrison gave an update on the number of Farm Bill Program applicants with the Okeechobee Field Office. He expressed that he is pleased with the level of service being provided through the NRCS Contribution Agreement.
2. OSWCD- Program Specialist, Robbi Sumner and District Administrator, Audrey Kuipers gave the program report updates.
3. FDACS- In the FDACS Representative’s absence, Audrey Kuipers shared that the Emergency Order suspending the Implementation Verification process has been extended to April 28th.
4. FSA- In the District Director’s absence, Kuipers updated the Board that former Program Technician, Jodi Raulerson will be coming back to fill the vacancy left by Lindsay Garrard. Additionally, the Emergency Conservation Program (ECP) deadline has been extended to May 22, 2023.

IV. Unfinished Business
1. Motion to approve the purchase of three (3) basic model pig trap systems; one (1) for Archbold Biological Station effectiveness demonstration and two (2) for rental purposes within Okeechobee County. Funding for the equipment purchase and the Invasive Species Awareness Field Day will come out of the Small Farms budget line item (Sellers/Rutledge). Motion passed.
Motion to approve a rental cost of $100 for a 2-week period and to cost share at the rate of 75% on the basic pig trap system.(Sellers/Smith). Motion passed.

Action item: Staff will purchase equipment, develop rental agreement, questionnaire, field day program, and work with Archbold.

V. New Business
1. Motion to approve the presentation of the draft FY 22 Financial Audit as presented (Sellers/Smith). Motion passed.
2. Chairman Corona asked the Board to consider changing the meeting time to earlier in the morning. Some Supervisors had a conflict. Meeting time did not change. Kuipers reminded the Board that all five Supervisors must be present at least one time in the calendar year to comply with F.S. Chapter 582.

VI. Upcoming Events
1. PRM Property & Casual Board Meeting | April 28 | Lakeland, FL
2. Stewardship Week | April 30-May 7
3. Board Meeting | May 10
4. AFCD Area IV Meeting | May 11 | UF IFAS REC | Belle Glade, FL